The Lion of St. Mark : a magnificent sculpture of unknown origin that some experts believe comes from China. The addition of wings transformed the lion into the symbol of the Republic of Venice. It occupies the top of one of two columns in St. Mark’s Square that come from Constantinople.
The Sansoviniana (or Marciana) Library : The library was built under the direction of Jacopo Sansovino in 1537. Unfortunately the building was completed only on the side overlooking the harbour before the death of the famous Florentine architect. The wing was completed between 1583 and 1588 by Vincenzo Scamozzi.
The Archaeological Museum: The 17th portico of the library leads to a courtyard that in turn leads to the Archaeological Museum. The museum is designed to help visitors understand the origins of the lagoon and the city of Venice. It contains Greek sculptures, fragments of Roman architecture, epigraphs and inscriptions, marbles, busts and a collection of coins from the 3rd to the 1st century B.C. The Correr Museum houses a collection of Neolithic and bronze archaeological objects and other displays include ancient Egyptian, Greek, Etruscan and Roman relics.
The Marciana National Library : This is one of the most important Renaissance libraries. It contains around 1,000 Greek and Latin codexes and currently houses more than 900,000 volumes and approximately 13,000 manuscripts (1,200 of which are Greek).
La Fenice Theatre: Built from 1790 to 1792 and designed by G. Selva. In 1836 it was almost completely destroyed by a fire, apart from the surrounding walls and part of the entrance. It was repaired and rebuilt according to the original design. In 1996, it was destroyed once again by fire and the theatre had to be completely rebuilt. It has a neo-classical facade with a large staircase that starts in the square outside. The entrance opens onto four Corinthian columns, surmounted by balustrades.
Mercerie: The Mercerie divides the historic city centre into two parts, between St. Mark’s and the Rialto . The passageway under the arch of the clock tower is the oldest street and some of its stores date back to the times of the original artisans. It is Venice’s main street and the commercial heart of the city, with shops and boutiques selling everything from luxury fashion to glass and fine leather. The "Mercerie" were already paved in the 13th century, in-keeping with the Venetian Byzantine style, featuring narrow buildings and numerous little alleyways.
The Rialto Bridge: The Salizada Pio X leads to the Rialto bridge, one of the most famous bridges in the city, which crosses the narrowest part of the Grand Canal. It was completed in the 19th century and dates back to the use of a pontoon bridge in 1181 , which was converted into something more permanent due to the increase of commercial traffic. It was initially made of wood, then rebuilt in stone between 1588 and 1591, under the direction of Antonio Da Ponte. Da Ponte was chosen amongst famous architects of the period, including Sansovino, Palladio, Michelangelo, Vignola, Scamozzi and Boldu.
The Fortuny Palace: At the end of Calle della Mandola, to the right of Rio Terrą della Mandola and the right of Canale degli Orfei , is the little Campo San Veneto (San Benedetto) whose pavement is interesting. It has been raised to adapt it to the curb of a well, which is still working. On the left is the imposing facade of Palazzo Pesaro degli Orfei, now the Fortuny Palace. It was built in the 15th century and took the name Orfei because it was the home of the Apollinea Philharmonic Society in the 18th century. It was purchased at the beginning of the 20th century by Mariano Fortuny Madrazo, a Spanish painter, set designer and collector and was donated to the city by his widow in 1956 to be used for the arts.
The jewel in the crown of Hotel Savoia & Jolanda is the view that can be enjoyed from the lagoon-facing building, where our junior suites are located, but also the magnificent Campo San Zaccaria where you can see the Renaissance church from many of our rooms.
At disposal of our guests a beautiful wooden boat, ideal for transfers and special occasions to celebrate in the Venice Lagoon.
Book now with our concierge a transfer or a tour with our boats.
The Rado family, the hotel owners, boast decades of traditional restaurant experience and also offer guests:
The Trattoria alla Madonna, located near the Rialto Market. The Principessa restaurant, next door to the hotel, has a wonderful terrace overlooking the lagoon.