Venice Quarter Cannaregio
The Cannaregio quarter was the second for expansion in Venice. Of all the districts, it is the most easily accessible to the mainland. The district is crossed by a very important and very frequented area (the Strada Nuova) which became a walkway in the 1800s. The architecture and atmosphere, while typical, gives it a distinct characterization. The Canareggio began to take form around the year 1000. The area was densely populated near S. Giovanni Crisostomo and next to S. Apostoli. These areas belonged to Venice before the Doge. And then new areas were constructed around the church of S. Sofia, S. Felice. S Marziale, S. Fosca, S. Marcuola, S. Leonardo e S. Geremia between 800 and 1200. Beginning in 1400, they defind the structure of three parallel areas in between the Rio of S. Girolamo and the North lagoon. After the construction of the Ferrovia bridge (1841) and of the train station (1860), the new portion of the district became the most urbanistic side and site of new construction. During 1868 and 1871, they filled a small canal with cement and created a connection with Rialto and S. Marco. Today, it is possibile to walk through the Canareggio on the Strada Nuova and reach the most popular tourist destinations in Venice…S. Marco and Rialto.